FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mess in AMS today - April 2022 onwards
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2022, 1:11 am
tobegold

Programs: TK Elite Plus, IC Plat Ambassador, HH Diamond
Baggage Handlers on Work Slowdown?

When I transited AMS last Friday (16th) I was watching the baggage handlers taking forever just to unload baggage off of my inbound aircraft. I am used to seeing bags being loaded off one by one in succession in other airports but here was a good 10 seconds between bags, no more than one bag on the conveyor belt at a time. My flight was scheduled for 17:00 and delayed to 17:13, did not board until after that and they were still unloading luggage. At 17:45 an announcement that there are still 25 pax not showed up and they are waiting for baggage handlers to arrive to load the plane. The plane finally departs gate around 18:30, without the missing pax and who knows whether all luggage made it. Fortunately I only had carry-on, but will likely have to check a bag on my ARN-AMS-YEG-YVR return in 2 weeks, not looking forward to that 3 hour connection in AMS. This is my second trip on KLM, the last was in 2015, and all the cancellations and rebookings so far on this trip plus the hassles at AMS with security time and then baggage issues will likely mean this is the last time I will transit AMS and fly KLM. Back in 2015 on a 6 hour layover I went into the city for a few hours with no issues, this time I had a 7.5 hour layover but dare not leave after all the 4 hr security horror stories.