FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ANA winter 2022 schedule is announced
View Single Post
Old Sep 14, 2022, 3:58 am
CosmicGirl

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
With SFO routes still being the 787 on the schedule it's looking like that really is what's going to operate it for some time. Seems odd that it recently went back to 777 and now is going to be 787 again. Pre-COVID they had just recently expanded with the SFO-HND route and both SFO flights were 777 plus the 787 out of SJC. I wonder exactly what the rationale is now with it looking like Japan will be truly open in the not-too-distant future.

JAL also has SFO-HND on 777 only 3x a week plus daily 787 to NRT, so maybe the demand is just not there right now.
Back in October 2020 they announced that they would get rid of 22 777s in an effort to cut costs. I don't know how many they actually got rid of but I seem to recall that, at the time of the announcement, that was pretty much half their 777 fleet. They can't reintroduce the 777 on all routes that previously had it with only half the number of planes. Add to that the increased flight times to/from Europe due to avoiding Russian airspace and even more cuts have to be made in the number of 777 flights.