FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2022]
Old Sep 13, 2022, 9:20 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Rocketman1
Well, I have now officially joined the ranks of my fellow GS’ers who have experienced the rank incompetence of these “so called” GS agents who on occasion answer the GS line. Just got off the phone with one of these agents. I was within the 24 hour SDC parameters and called to get an earlier flight to IAH for my connecting flight to LHR. I knew 20 seconds into the call where I stood with this lady. I elected to stay with her and experience the full Monty treatment. I had booked a Z fare and there were two empty J seats, one being in the Z bucket…so I was good to go, or so I thought. When she proceeded to tell me the fare difference I interrupted her and said, Ma’am, you know there is no chargeable fare difference in this circumstance. She put me on hold for four minutes. Only to immediately tell me about city pairs and that this was an exception that she could not and would not push. I politely disagree with her and referenced the numerous times that I had done this within the 24 hour parameter. She put me on hold again and upon her return she emphasized that perhaps “other” reps had done this in the past but that she would not be among their ranks. She then proceeded to tell me the fare difference for changing my short, typically 37 minute flight to Houston. $1750 was needed before she would make the change. I politely refused and indicated this call was over. She then proceeded to lecture me about City pairs and making changes to that holy grail of protocols. Since I refused the upcharge, I inquired about my reservation and had she made any changes. She had and it took a good three minutes for her to restore it. The sheer incompetence of this lady was mind boggling. And the utter gall to lecture me was unbelievable. Call was 37 minutes in duration. I immediately called my local United Club and in less than two minutes my flight was changed and my seat assignment done. Amazing experience. Never again. I could have HUCA’d…next time I will.
I have realized that I've been hoodwinked, I focused on attaining and maintaining GS status for the sake or irrops help and I find myself dreading the prospect of interacting with a help desk employee. I'm a sucker. Airlines are famous for poor customer service experiences with byzantine explanations but the fact that I now expect a horrific experience when I ask for the smallest (within the rules) accommodation is just remarkable.

As I'll continue to shout from the rooftops, it doesn't have to be this way. I continue to find the customer service experience for CKs on AA to be truly amazing. I just get to talk to a human who will do anything within reason to effectuate what I want to happen. Their route network isn't as good, their labor issues are going to be worse, but man-oh-man do they have the HVF thing figured out right now.