FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MLLs - information & experiences (July 2022 onwards)
Old Sep 13, 2022, 1:41 pm
StuckInYYZ

Originally Posted by canadiancow
In the before-times, the only time I ever saw them limiting access was to pass users. Those would be the first thing to go.
Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't happen. I'm just saying it's probably a very troublesome issue.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Now, if you want to talk about "I bought a pass from AC just for this trip", that's a different matter. But I suspect that wouldn't be toooooo difficult to request a refund.
Unfortunately that's where the catch is. "Just a refund", especially in the now times is worse. Many people are expecting instant gratification these days and more than just a pittance for their troubles. Certain recent events have predicted this... These are the people who will make the most noise. "I saved up x for this once in a lifetime trip, and now Air Canada has totally ruined it". Not having access to a lounge once in a while for most frequent flyers (not counting DYKWIA folk) will likely brush it off. Those who have been in enough lounges (or know what is in them) and aren't dependent on free-flow alcohol will likely brush it off. But you'll get the special trip to some "exotic" location/event... and (at least for now) it is likely the start of a bad trip for them (delay in taking off on a badly time flight, etc.) and boom, you get more bad press and higher than expected renumeration, etc. And it won't be just one in a 1000 type thing.

My point is, just kicking the can down the road doesn't necessarily help the situation. It might make more sense to get creative about it and deal with the problem before it becomes worse for everyone. You can't easily generate more space (actually, depending on the airport, you might), but if you can head these off without too much damage, why not?

Personally, if my pass gets converted to a voucher for some nice food in a less crowded venue, I'd be happy with that. Just need one of those "restaurants" that isn't hideously overpriced.