FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Shortening reservation after rate increase
Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:18 pm
Matt4200

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Soriak
I booked a stay at a Hyatt (La Jolla) a few months ago and need to shorten it by one night. I couldn't adjust the reservation directly on the website, so I contacted my concierge. She told me that because the rate has since increased, changing the length of the stay would trigger the higher rate. That is, it'd be as if I canceled the reservation and made a new one.

This seems pretty absurd to me. So I'm thinking of just keeping the original reservation, then asking to check out a day early when I arrive. I can't find any information about early check-out fees, however. Does anyone have experience with this? In case that makes a difference, I'm a Globalist, and I booked a cash rate + points upgrade to a suite.
It’s not absurd at all. You made a reservation and any modifications to that reservation would be basically the same as making a new reservation.

It’d be basically the same as me booking 10 nights at a long term rate (minimum 10 nights) then calling in and saying I’d like to change it to 8 nights, but keep the special long term rate.

Thats absurd to assume.

The same is true for points reservations if you booked a year ago and it changed categories or was designated as a peak date it would change to the new rate for all dates on the reservation.