FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 4-hour layover in AMS. What to do?
View Single Post
Old Sep 7, 2022, 6:15 am
mlin32

Programs: FB Gold
Originally Posted by squirk
Thanks, all. That’s where my gut was taking me - just stay in the airport.

But since you all seem to know AMS so well, I may beg some additional info from you.

I fly quite a bit, but almost exclusively U.S. domestic. As such, I have very little experience with customs and passport control, and even less with moving into/out of Schengen.

1.) As a U.S. citizen traveling for 10 days on tourism, arriving in AMS from a U.S.-based departure, my understanding is that I don’t need to worry about visas when entering AMS and transferring to OSL. Correct?

2.) When going through passport control when I switch from non-Schengen to Schengen, do I really need to prove that I have the financial resources to support myself while in Schengen as well as have the means to fly myself out within the 90 days? If so, what do I need to show the officer? A recent U.S. bank statement? My return-trip ticket?

3.) I am traveling with my 13-y.o. son. Given that he is under 16, that means we can’t use the expedited passport control options, correct?

4.) Do I need to collect my baggage in AMS and recheck it and/or go through customs before moving on to OSL? Or do I need to worry about collecting baggage and then customs only when landing in OSL?

Please and thank you!
1. No visa required for trips <90 days in a 180 day period.
2. The KMar will just ask where you are going and stamp your passport.
3. There are no expedited passport queues available for US citizens upon entry at Schiphol ; only on exit can adults use the automated passport control gates (citizens of Canada/HK/US and certain others).
4. Your bags will be tagged to your final destination at your first departure point in the US.