FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:11 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Totally get that for the standby list -- but as the first two flights went out full I figured someone really wanted to be on the flight -- but you are right -- I don't know if they were there or not.... My wife is one of those people that really loves to get on the new time a few days before and was really looking forward to sleeping on this flight -- funny thing is I paid for F on the way down to SJU (wrote my review of the St. Regis for FT) and thought I had a great chance of getting upgraded as there were 8 seats unsold 3 days out -- and we were 1/2 the whole time -- I guess UA really is getting good at monetizing F....
I would generally suspect that someone failed to run the upgrade. I have seen enough GAs mangle the battlefield clearances to think it's more likely than an inop seat, plus you mention they had inventory at J1 until close. However, I looked up the flight status seat map, and it shows all seats occupied, which is more typical of inop seat than GA failure, so maybe that question is still open.

Friendly reminder that with 8 seats unsold 3 days out, if you had pluspoints applied then (I guess that you did, or at least did in the end?), you can call to get it pushed (although maybe you also know that's been apparently turning into an uphill battle sometimes, with phone agents confused). [edit: I see I was very slow to type that and it's already been brought up!]