FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Sep 6, 2022, 8:28 pm
bmwe92fan

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Flew UA 1173 today -(SJU - EWR) - which was delayed 3+ hours due the inbound flight from EWR (764) going mechanical at 8am.... Needless to say the delays rolled to us -- and I'm just glad to finally be home in NYC as my wife flies first thing in the AM tomorrow to our home in TYO. The reason for the post can be seen below -- this was the upgrade list on the way to the airport -- note that this flight is the last flight of the day (due to the delay) and that I took this screenshot after the original departure time on the way to SJU airport -- my wife and I are number 1 and 2...

Here is my next data point about an hour later -- someone else is now shown up as "booked"...

A bit later now back down to 37 booked:

And then back up to 38 where it stayed...

"Interesting" thing to me was that the flight went out 38/39 -- and also with 7 empty seats -- so we died on the upgrade list and 7 people on the standby list for economy also didn't make it on the plane (I have screenshots to prove that and also -- one of the empty seats was next to us in E+). My question(s) -- how come no one was upgraded to the last lie-flat seat -- and how come UA left 7 people in SJU when they had seats on the plane? The reason I posted is that I can't understand how someone could get "booked" all of the sudden on the last flight of the day -- did the change to the flight from a future flight? And why didn't UA upgrade my wife (I told them to split us and give her the upgrade and was assured she would get the seat -- but never did...) Also -- very surprised UA left 7 people in SJU when they had seats? Here's the screen shot as we pushed -- they left one seat in J open?