FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)
Old Sep 6, 2022, 10:39 am
nk15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by 36902BRF
Ha I am the exact reverse if I had to chose my poison as I can liquidate these cards pretty easily and at scale so I hope the 5% lasts beyond 9/11. But that said I agree without the 5% I am not a buyer even at 3x except if there is an additional portal bonus so I agree the 3x is likely back at some point unless they decide discounted GCs is the better deal for them.
Very few people will buy for the discount, I believe the stronger motive is the LPs. Perhaps they will know think that people will feel more pressure to buy for the LPs, even with 1 LP, as we are in the second half of the qualification year, but the reverse could be also true, as many people are close to qualifying for what they wanted anyway, or already qualified. I am pretty sure there will be some at least temporary hikes up to 3x, at least around Nov/Dec.

Besides the LPs, the point of 3x is that you buy AA redeemable miles cheap, for .8 cents a mile, even with no discounts at all.

There is also a middle scenario where they make it 2x, as in the United portal (now also back down to 1x).

Last edited by nk15; Sep 6, 2022 at 10:48 am