FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Understanding the United Upgrade List Comprehensively {Archive}
Old Aug 31, 2022, 6:46 pm
RobOnLI
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by friedablass
I would have asked to speak to the purser or lead flight attendant and nicely asked for an explanation- you can say that you're wondering how it can be that #2 on the waitlist for 3 open seats never cleared. Perhaps you'd get a plausible answer or maybe not and they'd just say they don't know why the gate agent did that. But to me it would be worth a shot especially if it happened more than once; I'd want an explanation for being disappointed several times so if there's a valid explanation you can set your expectations accordingly.
FAs and pursers have nothing to do with seating and upgrades. That is completely up to the gate agent. Asking an FA about this serves no purpose.

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Follow up from the above, I received a further email from UA customer care,

Hi PanAmWT
I would recommend you try to stay on the same record if at all possible. If that isn't an option, when you check in for your flight online and split the record yes,you can call the GS desk and explain that your companion's status changed because you split the record,and ask that they reinstate her back to her position as your companion. You should ask for a Supervisor if the GS agent won't do it. Again,this is when you're checking in online 24 hours before.On the actual day,only the airport can move her back to that position.
Regards,
Customer Care

This customer agent was trying to help, suggesting that I do not split the reservation and check in prior to T-24. I have not tried to check in more than 24 hours before scheduled departure time. QUESTION: Does on-line check in open prior to T-24? How early can one check in?
Nowhere in the reply does it suggest you check in before 24 hours. You can't. OLCi for UA is available at 24 hours before the scheduled departure of your first flight. Not a minute before.

-RM