FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Who is planning to buy BA Miles before 31 Dec?
Old Dec 3, 2004, 10:29 am
Raffles
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Who is planning to buy BA Miles before 31 Dec?

This is the first year in which UK members have been able to buy BA Miles - up to 15,000 per calendar year. So, if I am going to take up my 2004 entitlement of 15,000, I need to do it in the next week or so.

I am in two minds about whether to go for it. (It would have helped if BA was having a sale like the one Lufthansa has launched - buy 10k, get 2k free). £255 is a not insubstantial amount of money to hand over for no immediate tangible benefit.

On one hand, it clearly makes mathematical sense. 15,000 miles is the net cost of one MFU and, at the most extreme example, it is 1/7th of an Amex 2-for-1 in Club to San Francisco, which I would certainly value at more than (£255x7=) £1,785.

On the other hand, I still have 175k miles in my account, plus another slug due from Tesco. I am unlikely to make a major redemption apart from MFU's until my next Amex voucher comes along, which will not happen until at least next October (my clock does not restart until 1st Feb).

What does everyone else think?