FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] "I need XXX UA PQPs/PQFs in 2022 for Elite Status in 2023"
Old Aug 28, 2022, 11:37 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rbakker
Thank you, I will reconsider it. I'll try to make a list of all the benefits. One is that I usually travel with the wife and using PlusPoints we can both fly Polaris for cheap (when available).
Happy to help. Ultimately, it's your money, so if you decide it's what you want to do, enjoy it. I just wanted to offer a little perspective.

If you're talking about PZ at booking, I agree that's a nice benefit when you can find it -- but you also have miles + copay as an option there. If you're talking about waitlisted upgrades, you can go from hoping nobody takes the $800 buy-up to being the person that takes the $800 buy-up.

The fact that I'm not charged when changing award travel has saved me quite a bit too.
Currently, there are no redeposit fees for any changes made more than 30 days prior to departure. If your flight departs from the US, you can move it to 31+ days out and then redeposit for no fee. If your flight originates elsewhere (e.g., Canada), you're looking at $125/ticket for changes within 30 days of departure, although I've seen recent reports that they may still be waiving that. (Less if you still maintain some level of status).

And, as I said, that 1K phone line sometimes works magic when you're stuck.
Granted, although there hasn't been a dedicated 1K phone line in several years. You mentioned Gold as a possible fallback -- a Gold member gets the same agents, just potentially with more hold time.