FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Cape - a Thompson Hotel (Cabo San Lucas) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Aug 26, 2022, 8:09 am
Soriak

Returned from a 4-night stay there as well. Might have overlapped with kevinjm, or perhaps the week prior! Small world. Stayed for 4 nights on points (25k/night) and used a TSU to get into the Thompson suite. Absolutely beautiful room with a good bottle of (hotel-branded) tequila as a welcome gift.

We had dinner on the rooftop the first night, followed by Mantis, one day outside of the hotel (at Comal), and the fixed price menu on Saturday at the Ledge. I largely enjoyed the Saturday experience, where they have a grill and just keep bringing the things that you want. The food was really good, but service could have been better. I think there must have been some confusion among the waiters as to who was responsible for our table because it alternated between having two people check on us, and once nobody bringing our order or checking back on us until I walked up to the host to follow-up. They also charged us extra for tea at the end ($20 or so?), which seemed petty given the pricing. But I'm willing to put up with bad service when the food and ambiance are very good, and the experience delivered on both (echoing what others have said: the views are just stunning). The rooftop was a fun experience as well: great cocktails, and we only went for a quick bite since we arrived in the late evening. Also, great service. Mantis was disappointing, in my opinion: not bad, but not memorable food, and the view is basically the same as from the ledge. Very overpriced for what it is, I think. Comal was (by far) the dining highlight: a table on a cliff overlooking the sea with a beautiful sunset, absolutely stunning food, and superb service. The bill came to about $350 for two people (with drinks), so more than the hotel restaurants, but everything about it was perfect, so I think the money was well spent. I'd highly recommend making the 20-minute Uber ride there and cutting back on the hotel restaurants instead.

Loved the breakfast: the Chilaquiles with steak was my favorite. However, the prices are eye-popping, so the free Globalist breakfast is an incredible perk. Also had the burger and nachos at the pool bar (delivered to a cabana) and very much enjoyed those. In fact, I'd pick that over Mantis. Speaking of cabanas: they all had "reserved" signs, and when we first asked about them, they said we could get one for free "today." Turns out, we got one every day and never heard about there being a charge for them. So might be worth inquiring: it's nice to have the extra space and shade. Overall, fantastic service at the pool and at the hotel reception. The entire stay was super relaxing and exactly what we were looking for.

For transportation, we ended up relying entirely on Uber. At the airport, you can get one to pick you up at a small store (Oxxo) about a five-minute walk from the terminal. There's wifi there if you don't have an international data plan. The trip was about $25 vs. $75 or so for the car services. I came to Cabo after a different trip, so I needed a laundry service. I contacted Lavamaticas Ultra Clean Laundry via WhatsApp. They were able to pick up and return on the same day for $20, and they even ironed my socks. The hotel took care of the pickup & return, delivering it all to the room.

Super relaxing stay and clearly an amazing value when redeeming points and with Globalist perks. I don't think I would pay the cash rate, however -- even as a Globalist: I'd instead go to Cancun, where I've found places that are nicer and cheaper (Nizuc and Beloved come to mind), although there are no points to be earned.