FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)
Old Aug 21, 2022, 8:58 pm
qukslvr619

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Platinum
AA auto rebooking is frustrating

This is the 6th trip this summer that has had some sort of cancellation, delay, etc although I know I’m not alone in experiencing this.

What infuriates me is that AA doesn’t give me the option of accepting a new itinerary and in some cases their alternative flights don’t get me to my destination until days after I was originally supposed to arrive.

I was booked STLDFWSAN and DFWSAN xld so I’m rebooked STLPHXSAN. On the way to the airport I check and STLPHX was delayed and would miscnx PHXSAN. I figured no big deal I can overnight in PHX and just try and get onto a flight tomorrow. Instead with no warning AA rebooks me on a STLDFW flight which leaves an hour before the flight to PHX with a double connection DFWPHXSAN….on Tuesday. Well obviously not going to work because I need to get to SAN tomorrow and no way I’m going to make it to the airport in time.

Arrive at airport only to see that STLDFW xld and I’m rebooked by the system tomorrow at 0545 but with the double cnx two days later. I tried to get back on STLPHX to at least get out tonight/avoid the mess DFW is going to be tomorrow only to be told that flight is now sold out. I propose rebooking to UA STLIAHSAN but agent says no availability (even though I can clearly see that inventory in Y is still available. Tried running thru other options but agent comes up with nothing…..looks like I’m stuck in STL tonight.

But this story ends well or at least I’ve somehow undone the mess that AA made. Arrived at counter at 1745 and point blank ask agent to rebook me on the UA flights (which is leaving at 1822). He sees one last seat, books it and Im on my way. Even better is that since I was rebooked as Y, I head to the top of the upgrade list and clear both segments in F. Only arriving in SAN two hours late and still can make work meeting tomorrow.

So what am I complaining about? Mainly that the system gives no choice in accepting a new itinerary and automatically drops all segments, and in the event you are rebooked to an earlier flight, no notice or confirmation to verify that you can even make an earlier flight. I’ve usually only dealt with UA for irrops and needless to say they have their own set of issues but their rebooking system at least confirms you “accept” a new itinerary before dropping segments. But I can’t for the life of me understand why AA assumes I want to get to my destination 2-3 days later when there are alternative routings or ways to salvage existing flights that are in your itinerary.