FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2022 master thread)
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:49 pm
metallo

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by redtop43
I am flying PHL-DFW-ABQ on Thursday. I'm EXP with a fairly good upgrade percentage so far this year.

I'm on a 3:32 departure that was J3 until earlier today when it went to J1. There is a 2:29 departure that is currently J3. Assuming I don't mind leaving an hour earlier and spending an hour longer in DWF, is it sensible (assuming the 2:29 departure remains J3) to do a SDC change Wednesday at 2:30 to the 2:29 departure?
Many flights are cleared down to J1 just before T-24 (like T-26ish), so changing at T-24 often won't help in a scenario like this. You'd generally still have to hope you're #1 on the list at the gate and that the last seat is still available for a gate upgrade (or someone else cancels and it goes back to J2 or greater after T-24). On some routes, AA will hold back a few more seats beyond T-24, particularly if it's the last flight of the day. Last week, I noticed the late night PHX-DEN was still J5 at T-24, with upgrades only clearing around T-12, for example, but most routes are down to J1 or J0 by T-24.