FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 40 night bonus - $100 gift card or 5k points?
Old Aug 15, 2022, 9:50 pm
Matt4200

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joey965
Wow, MATT 4200. I live in a city with only one Hyatt. It is NEVER under $135. I am usually 2 or 3 nights short of 60 each year so I stay at that local Hyatt to achieve 60. I don’t want to travel anywhere. Especially to Las Vegas which would be a 23 hour drive for me. That is my rational. You do not have to agree with it, but neither do you have to call it ludicrous. It makes perfect sense to me.
Yes and the other 57-58 nights out of the year where you stay and travel you have tons of opportunities outside of both your locale and Las Vegas. I named a dozen cities just off the top of my head and there’s easily a dozen more.

It is ludicrous considering the extreme ease of attaining points otherwise.

Originally Posted by Seagull689
Gift card means you have to spend it at Hyatt hotel. And spending at a hotel is almost always going to be more expensive than if you go next door, or down the street, for a similar product/service. I'd take the points knowing that I'm shooting for $0.02 per point, or more. At the nicer, high end resorts, this is quite achievable if the award is available. And as others have mentioned, the mental remembering of having to redeem the gift card is an added hassle. And when it really comes down to it, this 5000 pts vs $100 gift card is really the difference in a few dollars one way or another...
I would say if you have even 1 single stay with any charges at all on your folio (nightly room rate, dining, mini bar, spa, anything at all) then the gift card would work out better.

Points are just so easy to attain both Chase and Hyatt give them our like Candy 60k and 100k at a time.

If you get both a Sapphire Card and the World of Hyatt card that’s 160k World of Hyatt points. That’s not even counting points earned for regular spending either.

If points were much harder to come by then I’d say get the points but they’re just so easy to get it’s comical to take the points option, especially if you count that you actually earn points from using the gift card too, up to 1,950 points just for redeeming that same $100 gift card during a 3x promo. Meaning during that period it’s 3,050 points or $100.