FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Report your Diamond Suite Upgrade success here :)
Old Aug 8, 2022, 4:47 pm
Ghoulish
Suspended

Originally Posted by uclabruinfan
A few general questions about Diamond Upgrades:
  • Do you get better results when making the request in advance? In other words, is it better to email and ask about a Diamond upgrade? Or wait until you get to the hotel and make the request in person?
  • Do you make the request for a specific room or Suite? Or just generally ask about an Upgrade?
  • Do you use other factors to push your case (anniversary, birthday, etc...)?
I've been a Diamond for awhile and have had extremely varied success with upgrades. I am going to Hilton Vallarta Riviera the end of this month for my anniversary and really hoping for an upgrade, so hoping for some best practices from some experts.

Thanks!
You should see an automatic upgrade on your reservation no later than three days prior to your stay. If not, I would call the hotel front desk (don't select "reservations" or you'll get transferred to Hilton central booking).

It's a heck of a lot harder for them to deny when you're speaking to them. I suspect calls regarding upgrades are rare, and sometimes wonder if they think their customer service may be being tested by corporate.

It won't hurt to mention your special occasion. But combine it with the fact you're a Diamond.

"Hello, I'm a Hilton Diamond member. My wife and I will be staying with you for our xxxxx on November 1st. Would an upgrade be possible? I'd appreciate anything you could do for us."

Don't bother asking for a specific room. You want them on your side and not come off as entitled. There's a lot of discretion on their part.

I would not wait to ask at the front desk unless you didn't manage to get an earlier upgrade, because if I'm staying there, I probably snapped up the upgrade you were hoping for 3 days earlier by charming the in house clerk

Last edited by Ghoulish; Aug 8, 2022 at 4:54 pm