FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ : BAEC : status extensions & Tier Point (re)qualification thresholds reduced
Old Aug 4, 2022, 2:29 pm
jplondon

Programs: GGL
Originally Posted by champignon
I think it is an over-generalization that business travelers pay the freight and the leisure travelers will now be getting something for nothing.

I'm a leisure traveler and I pay full freight for almost all of my tickets (99% of the time in the front of the airplane). I don't end up using Avios for flights very often because it is hard to get the flights and cabins I want with award space, plus if I don't pay for enough of my flights I wont have enough TPs to retain status. I doubt that I am alone, and I also think that leisure travelers are going to make up a much larger part of the high dollar/GBP paying passengers going forward, because the curtailment of business travel is likely to be a permanent situation. This is not because of the continuing spread and mutation of Covid, rather it is a result of the last 2 years, when companies were forced to realize that jetting a bunch of employees around the world continuously could be replaced by much less frequent travel supplemented with internet/Zoom/etc. meetings and other substitutes.
Yes I dont disagree, clearly business travel down and indeed more premium leisure. I wonder how the numbers add up, premium leisure on average must pay a lot less than old-style business traveller. My SH tickets last couple weeks are £600-1200 and my LH £6-18K for business due to short notice, short trips, fully flexible. My leisure premium flights are more £400 / £3000 in comparison.