FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to buy an extra seat? "EXTRASEAT" for paid or award flights
Old Aug 3, 22, 9:15 pm
lancelot21

Programs: UA 1K, MM
Originally Posted by TomMM View Post
This is will be a transatlantic flight on a 767 and I am planning on getting seats on one of the dual seats side.
Ah, my transatlantic was three-seat side, so didn't have this option. That's perfect.

Originally Posted by bocastephen View Post
Getting the EXTRASEAT is the easy part - keeping poachers out of it, especially if it's a highly desirable location, will be the challenge. Window/middle combination is best, you can sit in the middle the physically block people from poaching the window, then spread out after take-off to take both seats. Unfortunately, I wish I could poo-poo the risk, but the very first time I booked one of these, I had to slide over and block a poacher who was seated in the very back of the cabin, but loudly declared "I'm just gonna sit right here!" - no help from the FAs, but the GA who knew I had the extra seat told her to get to the back and sit down in her assigned seat.
Didn't have that problem when we've done it...but then again, I was always flying with my wife when we booked an extra seat, so the "free seat" was the middle. Not as easy to poach.

In this case, the OP would point out indignantly that the poacher was seated in the cat's seat, which was reserved and paid for. (Though better to avoid the fight by sitting in the aisle initially.