FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DYKWIA stories (Travelling on United Airlines) (Archive)
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:08 pm
wxguy

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
In F on a domestic flight last night -- probably about 1/2 way through the flight -- I'm getting some work done with my headphones on and the guy next to me (who was generally on the lower end of my opinion of seatmates based on behavior earlier) pulls his cell phone close to his head and starts shouting, but I can't make out what the issue is.

Not sure what was going on I take the headphones off and while doing that I happen to catch a glimpse of the screen -- "WIRELESS CALLER 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx"... He's not...?

"YEAH I'M ON THE PLANE RIGHT NOW."

He is. Sigh.

"NO I BOUGHT THE WIFI SO WE CAN TALK NOW. WHAT'S GOING ON?"

I stop paying attention to what he's saying and contemplate the best way to get this stopped before it gets started. Apparently my glare while contemplating "say something" vs "hit FA button" vs "don't start something at 30,000 feet" combined with a couple people near by doing the same was intense enough it made the Wi-Fi Spotty

"...SO...HEY....YOU'RE BREAKING....YOU'RE BREAKING...I CAN'T HEAR YOU...CAN YOU HEAR ME?!? WHY DON'T I CALL YOU BACK WHEN I LAND."

Not the most egregious violation but one heck of a bit of annoying, particularly the number of places UA says you can't do this in flight.
"Sir, just to let you know, a good friend of mine recently made a phone call via the in-air WiFi, which is against FAA regulations, and when the plane landed he was arrested." That should work!