FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Earning rates on TAP
View Single Post
Old Jul 28, 2022, 5:19 pm
fifty_two

Programs: AF Gold / Accor Gold / Hilton Diamond / TP Silver / A3 Gold
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Many of us have learned this from bitter experience and posted it here to warn others. TAP is an exception to the normal rule
Oh , wasnt aware of it , i am a newbie regarding TAP and M&G

(Air Canada is another)
Can you give a small summary/introduction ? i will dig deeper later during winter by myself cause i might fly with AC in 2023

that the first letter in the fare basis is the thing that matters and the only thing that determines what the earning rate will be. The OP has been told (and, it appears, now understands) in this thread (and there are others) that you never know what you might get in any other *A programme....but you definitely do NOT give any weight to the first letter of TAP's fare code.
A bit like what AF does since new FB version where they introduced XP , booking code is meaningless , only booking class (eco,prem,biz) is important

will check it during my homework

While that would be the correct analysis for most other airlines, this is not how it works with TAP . The leading "L" in "L15DSC0A" is meaningless. The only important part of this fare basis is the DSC for "Discount". (The other options are: BSC for Basic, CLC for Classic, PLU for Plus) . In TAP's own program, it is the fare family that matters for earning.And Discount fares earn nothing, whether short/medium haul, or intercontinental, in TAP's own programme.
This part i got it , thats why i avoid this type of fares and dont book TAP from OTAs

When this flight is reported to Aegean, it won't be reported as "Lxxxx", meaning interpreted as an L class fare earning 50% as indicated in the table. Somewhere along the way, it gets transposed. And I'm 99.99% certain that it will be reported to A3 as one of the classes I, R, O, E, T, X, N, F - i.e. it will appear to A3 as one of the listed non-earning classes.
Similar issue happened to many skyteam FFP members flying OK

Now, as it's the first time you appear to have encountered this chicanery, you are likely thinking that this can't be correct, and that we are all either seriously misled, or trying to pull a fast one on you. And yes, indeed, it is rather shocking that this scenario has gone on for so long (see how ancient some of the threads posted above are) such that the uninitiated flyer thinks - like you did - that an L class purchased as "Discount" from TAP will earn a hefty 50% on Aegean. And it is shocking that Aegean doesn't instead adopt a fare earning table that (like TAP) is based on the fare family (Discount/Basic/Classic/Plus) such that one can see accurately what the earning will be.
As i couldnt get his statement , this is why i asked what is going on cause i assumed i missed a part of the story . I also used A3 to collect miles from star alliance and never had such issue , so i needed more details

The truth is, we do not know how these TAP fare bases are transposed into the fare letters of the A3 table. However, you can pretty much assume that, if you buy a Plus or Classic fare, you should earn 100% or 50% (regardless of TAP's leading letter in the fare basis). If you buy a Basic fare, then you probably will earn nothing (again, regardless of TAP's leading letter in the fare basis). And if you buy a Discount fare, then you were not going to earn anything from TAP, so there clearly is no chance of A3 giving you anything for a Discount fare (even if, as in the illustrated example, it has been given a meaningless "L" at the start of the fare basis code).
Ok so this apply in case a pax would buy tickets from TAP , so to avoid such trouble if a codeshare is availabe its better to buy through another star alliance airline who can put their code on this flight and display clear rules .... or if no codeshare/fairprice available then simple fly U2/W6/FR

TAP's earning chart for TAP flights (first image below) : https://www.flytap.com/en-nl/miles-a...n-miles/flying
A3's earning chart for TAP flights (second image below): https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon.../airlines/tap/
Those i know , however i wasnt aware of this TAP mess , thanks god i collect now in M&G , so i am less impacted , but its good to know it

In the end big thanks for sharing knowledge about this topic

Last edited by fifty_two; Jul 29, 2022 at 7:42 am