FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IROPS "IRROPS" - OSO, Weather, etc. Affecting AA Flyers (master thread)
Old Jul 25, 2022, 9:26 pm
Lux Flyer

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Made it to MIA, rebooking line was easily 200+ deep. Luckily the line in the AC only had 5 or 6 people. Got a hotel voucher with only a little pushback. Now rebooked via DFW in the morning but in Y - on a paid F ticket for a platinum customer. This airline can suck it.
If the worst of your delay is that your a half day behind, and you fly in Y instead of J (which you'll get a refund for), and you got a hotel voucher for a weather delay (because you were paid J), I'd say you ended up in pretty good shape compared to what a good chunk of other travelers experienced today.

Of course, had the delay only been 20-30 mins like promised in BOS, this would not be an issue. Or had the captain kept his word and taken a direct route, also not an issue. (Seriously, go look at the flight path for AA1982 today). Or, had my connection waited at the gate 15 extra mins instead of sitting on the runway for 30+ awaiting takeoff, also a non issue.
You do realize every single one of these complaints is related to the weather and FAA imposed delays? Do you think AA likes having their planes sitting 30+ mins waiting to take off, or take these long circutous routes to get to the final destination? Basically every airport in the northeast had GDP programs in place starting from 10am that were scheduled to remain in effect until anywhere from 7-9:30pm tonight depending on the airport, including some ground stops mixed in. These are all imposed by the FAA because of the weather affecting operations and arrival/departure routes to these airports. AA has no ability to overrule the FAA when they say you can't take off until this time, and these air routes are closed (nor is any pilot going to choose the "more direct" route if it involves making an unsafe flight).

Yep this is BOS/MIA, just trying to get an idea of how hard AA is going to try to blame weather or other reasons that allow them to have no accountability.
the DFW flight 10 mins before this one went on time, of course.
DFW is also located in the south central part of the US compared to MIA in the south east corner. It doesn't take an expert in geography to figure out that these flights are going to have different airborne routes to their final destination, and the availability/congestion of those routes is going to be different.

I am also going to fight till the end to get a few future AA flights refunded so I can go book them elsewhere. If I'm going to get Spirit/Allegiant level service, may as well pay their prices and know up front instead of getting screwed by AA mid trip as usual.
Good luck. Flying anyone else today would have resulted in the same set of problems .Go look at most of the flights for UA and DL that operated through the northeast - it wasn't pretty. But hey if you think AA is the issue, be our guest. I'm sure we'll see a similar sentiment when the same thing happens to you on DL or UA.

To also add: AA put out a travel waiver for the Northeast in advance because they knew things were going to be rough due to the weather today (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/travel-alerts.jsp).. If you chose not to avail yourself of that and insisted on flying today and are now upset that there were delays out of their control, I'm not sure what to tell you? Maybe air travel isn't the best form of transport for you if you can't accept that these types of delays have potential to happen?

Additional edit since you brought up the routing. As I'm sure you're aware, but for others, here is the routing flown per FlightAware on BOS MIA. See all those big clumps of green, with some yellow and red mixed in on the direct path from BOS to MIA? I'm not a meteorologist or a pilot or anything, but generally pilots don't like flying through that stuff, and the FAA doesn't like providing routings that go through that stuff either I guess the alternative is they could have delayed this flight further until it cleared up enough to take the most direct route for you, or just cancelled the flight entirely when the crew inevitably would have timed out waiting for that ideal direct routing to become available.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; Jul 25, 2022 at 9:40 pm