FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated HNL/Honolulu/Waikiki/Oahu Restaurants & Bars Thread (2020 and Onward)
Old Jul 25, 2022, 6:57 pm
FlyinHawaiian
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
July Recap:

Upscale
Hawaii Kai - Roy's (The Original). I had not been to the Hawaii Kai location for many years. Gone is the loud and raucous atmosphere replaced by a very quiet and relaxed setting. This was a pleasant surprise. I sent some first time visitors to the Ko Olina outpost for a special family birthday dinner and they raved about their experience.

Midrange
Manoa - Feast (Dinner) - I'm working my way through the menu; tried the JFC Fried Chicken plate and liked it (still a sucker for hamburger steak, though).
Kakaako - Panya Bistro and Bakery was still good. Even better was Tangö Contemporary Cafe next door for dinner. I really like the cozy space and great service; the beef stroganoff was excellent.

Casual
Beretania/Makiki - Asian Mix in the ground floor parking lot of the Beretania Safeway. This was my favorite find of the trip. I heard it was a great place to get Chinese roasted meats without having to go into Chinatown and I was all for that. Then Honolulu Magazine featured their roast duck in their latest issue so I knew I had to go there. The first visit I made the mistake of not pre-ordering the duck so they were out by the time I showed up (about 4 pm on a weekday; they ran out about 2:30). I ordered the siu yuk (roast pork with crispy skin), beef broccoli and gau gee noodles and there were all excellent and not greasy. I went back after ordering a half duck and it was phenomenal.
Kaimuki - Brick Fire Tavern. I had a Monday night open and Ili'ili was closed, so I dined in to give them a second chance. I am not a fan; our pizza was not only soggy but not even that hot, despite coming out of the oven and straight to our table.
Kakaako
- I had to call a quick audible while in the area and found Niu Baguette BBQ & Noodle Soup on Yelp; it's on Cooke and Queen in the old Lopez Building where the old Tsukenjo's (RIP) take out window was. The banh mi were ok as were the summer rolls. Nothing spectacular, but it was good and decent food.

Habibi and Aloha Vietnamese were both on my list, but I didn't make it this time; will try to make in there on my next visit.