FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bad news - BA's NCL lounge reportedly to close permanently
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:43 pm
passy777

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I used to use NCL a lot when I lived in Durham. The drive and the unpredictability of the traffic at the Metro Centre meant it was not simply a turn up/take off experience. Pre-bypass days it was a tedious drive through Gateshead. In fact I used to prefer using BMA in the old days from Tees-side. The dwell areas at NCL, most especially the gate areas were horrible. Back when BA had 757s they offered only a tea and coffee service despite the Shuttles offering lavish (for the block time) hot breakfasts (I flew MAN-LHR/LGW almost weekly). I always thought NCL did well to have a lounge (I recall it had a landside, windowless room once) but put it down to the route having a lot of corporate clients that were important to BA.
With fares currently being charged (GBP600 one-way in Club to dampen demand), those who do fly deserve better.
I live in Durham and have experienced what you describe. I live within walking distance of Durham Rail station and now find it easier to just hop on the train, get the Metro in Newcastle for the Airport directly to the Doubletree.

Due to the now extortionate fees for onsite airport parking, I find this the cheapest option.