FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Speculation] Alaska Mileage Plan Future?
Old Jul 23, 2022, 10:31 pm
PDXPremier
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JetAirways77W
The moment AS goes to a spend based model like AA I'll be completely done with trying to go for status until I'm more settled into a career. My current ability to hit MVP Gold every year is predicated on taking relatively cheap, but long distance transcons between BOS and SFO several times a year to get between home and university; I can only accomplish this due to 100% EQM earning on all AS marketed flights. As a student, I don't have the ability to indiscriminately spend on a cobrand credit card.

Since my flying is between BOS and SFO, I lock myself into only one possible schedule by flying AS (i.e. a morning SFO-BOS and early evening BOS-SFO). I'm fine with this as it allows me to earn and utilize status, but the moment I can't do that anymore I might as well jump ship to B6 or UA which run 5-6x flights a day on that route.
Totally agree....I left UA when they switched to a revenue-based program and I too need 100% EQM earning on cheap mileage runs for status....I have no desire to spend more money for the same status.