FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]
Old Jul 21, 2022, 2:22 am
hijiji

Originally Posted by hailstorm
This is what the "nobody is getting seriously ill/dying from COVID" people don't get. It's not about COVID killing people anymore, it's about COVID taking away people's ability to get any basic care, starting with elective care, but gradually increasing to more serious issues that hospitals simply no longer have the capacity to address.

This is because of Japan laws that have not kept up with government attitudes on how to deal with the disease. The previous emergencies/pseudo emergencies were supposed to buy us time to get to a point where we could live with COVID spikes without shutting down society, but they forgot to give the hospitals and aid workers the tools to let them do that.
This is what has me worried and a bit stressed right now. I’m scheduled for surgery next week and there is a real possibility that it will be postponed. I just got a call checking that I have no symptoms of Covid and to let them know immediately if the situation changes. However, there was no mention of having a test before admission. The nurse just said that if there is a cluster, surgery is off. It’s been a long road to get this far, I just hope it doesn’t dead end in the next few days.