FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Master thread Chase Aeroplan (US) cards
View Single Post
Old Jul 19, 2022, 1:21 am
yyzgigi

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Originally Posted by dlflyer00
Seems like I might have improperly lost one of these Welcome Flight Rewards, but I can't entirely tell if I am right. I booked a Latitude fare for 2 people in economy for 320k points, and applied 2x50k certs to bring it down to 220k points. Due to an obvious misconnect with AC delays, I decided to just cancel the outbound and book myself onto another carrier, and I figured this was fine on a Latitude ticket. I flew the return segment normally.

After a long phone call with Aeroplan once I flew all segments, they agreed to refund 110k points -- 50% of the actual point cost -- but none of the certificates. This doesn't seem entirely right. The representative explained that the certificates are considered used once flown, which I agree from the below T&C. However, it seems they should have been applied in full to my new reservation. Since the new reservation only cost 160k points (the price was equivalent for the outbound/return), the certificates should bring the total points cost down to 60k and I should be refunded 160k points.

It's just 50k but would rather not lose it if I can avoid it. Am I crazy or is there an easy way to dispute this further?
I agree with your logic and certainly feels like you should at least have retained the full value as it was ACs fault you lost the first half. However, you are outside of the strict T&C as this is an allowance for a service disruption after the fact and their interpretation of what fair compensation would be. I would try again with the logic described and hopefully you get a good CSR who will credit the points difference.