FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade Offer on App (and on website)
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2022, 2:05 pm
ptsailor

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; HH Gold; Bonvoy Gold; Wynd Diamond
Upgrade your Flight - Dynamic Pricing?

I have a flight booked CLT-LAS in the middle of August. I'm PltPro and fine sitting in MCE if I don't clear an upgrade. Every time I check my itinerary, I get the "Upgrade Your Flight for as little as..." banner and I've begun to click through to see what the per segment costs are at any given time. Well, with no change in availability in the front cabin, the costs have varied wildly. For the direct outgoing segment, the cost started in $230 range and in the course of a week I've seen as high at $465 (around $430 now) with no change in first class seats available (as confirmed through ExpertFlyer each time - 45% available). How is this pricing determined? Has anyone tested if prices are consistent from passenger to passenger? Are they pricing them in relation to a virtual upgrade list at any given time (the lower you'd be on the upgrade list if it were published today, the higher the price of the upgrade) or are the revenue management guys just throwing darts at a board every 30 minutes?

I'm not angry about it or anything.. just curious.

Last edited by ptsailor; Jul 16, 2022 at 5:28 pm Reason: To remove statement that the original fare is still available, fare today would be $120 higher