FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Daytime Transatlantic First
View Single Post
Old Jul 16, 2022, 9:54 am
_nate

Originally Posted by chriswiles
Can someone explain why sleeping is *so* essential? I've never understood this. Why pay so much money to sleep? Every human can have at least one ropey night and still function successfully, so unless you have some mission-critical meeting at the other end, why is being asleep so important? Genuine question: I've never understood why people would pay thousands of dollars/pounds to sleep.

This goes back to what I was referencing above with a JFK flight which was supposed to leave around 8pm, but eventually took off around 9.45pm. By the time we were in the air and they served drinks, most people were requesting their beds making up. I was almost the only one eating. Just perplexed me why people would pay First prices and....go to sleep.

For me, the entire point of travelling First is the experience. From the Concorde room, to seats, to quality of the food, quality of the drink and an excellent start to a vacation.
I agree that daytime First is better but we all react differently to time zone changes and the timing of naps or sleep can be critical and the affects can last for days. I can think of a specific example where the sleep onboard and the shower at the arrivals lounge made a huge difference between basically being able to handle a very busy week the way I wanted versus not. I can sleep in economy but it is liable to be a variable experience. And controlling when you eat in First gives it an edge over business class.