FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AM: TIJ to/from Multiple cities from $244 (great MQD Runs)
Old Jul 15, 2022, 2:02 am
Bowgie

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by rajhyd99
I am planning to do this MR TIJ-SJD... I am planning to 2 back to back MR.

1. TIJ - What is the process at this airport. Will it be like Domestic in US. Just get back on plane without going to Security or we have exit security and come back at Departures?
Same Question for SJD Airport?

2. How are the lounges at SJD as I will have 4-6 hours based on above SJD transfer question?
3. Are they any Sleep lounge/Suites available in MEX airport ? I am assuming at MEX it will be Transit/transfer flight to SJD and doesn't require security correct?
Answers:
The post made no sense until I realized that OP is doing back-to-back mileage runs and not leaving the airport at either TIJ or SJD.
1. First, my CBX advice:

Pre-reserve your parking space at CBX. That way you can be closer and park on asphalt instead of far away and on gravel. The lots cost $20 and up. Any portion of a day counts as an entire day. On return, do not wad up or smear your parking ticket because it has to be readable by a fussy scanner at inside the main CDX building near Starbucks. You cannot pay at the outer lots; you have to get a "paid" receipt from the kiosk

Pay your CBX toll when you get there; there is no real advantage to buying it ahead of time. Pay a roundtrip toll only if you are sure you won't lose or mess-up the scan code while on your mileage run.

Technically, you need an FMM (Mexican tourist card) to enter by a land crossing such as CBX. You can do it on-line, or at the Mexico immigration counter on the Mexico side of the bridge. If your stay exceeds 7 days, there is a fee (credit card only). Passport (or the Mexico ID card, if applic) is also required

At the CBX entry gates at both USA and TIJ ends, the gates scan one's TIJ boarding pass (QR or bar code) and the QR code on the CBX toll ticket. Don't lose boarding passes! You need them as back-up to claim miles, and the one for the last flight into TIJ is needed to cross CBX back to USA. If you have the Global Entry plastic card with your picture, that will cut a considerable time off of your entry back into the USA.

When you arrive back at TIJ for your second trip, ask the gate agent to print your boarding pass. If you have to exit the airport to find a check-in agent, that would be no big deal. However, on your last run back to TIJ, DO NOT EXIT the TIJ airport. If you do, you won't be allowed to get back airside to cross CBX back to the USA. On your last arrival into TIJ, enter baggage claim, go right all the way to the back of hall (not the exit to arrivals). Just follow the CBX signs. It is OK to exit to arrivals and check-in on the first trip because you'll be getting a boarding pass, which allows you back into airside.

2. There is the VIP lounge at TIJ, which takes Priority Pass. It's OK, but rather basic. There is also Priority Pass lounge in terminal 1 at SJD airport. I did not go inside. AeroMexico uses terminal 1 at SJD and Terminal 2 at MEX (excepting regional jet flights, which do not apply to TIJ-MEX or SJD-MEX.)

Terminal 1 at SJD airport is small. On arrival, you enter baggage claim and exit the airport. The gates are not staffed until about 40 minutes before departures, so you'd have visit the check-in counter to get your boarding passes for your return to TIJ anyway. The Priority Pass lounge is upstairs near the gates.

3. You do not exit the MEX airport because you will be arriving there with your on-going boarding pass. You get both passes at the departure airport -- TIJ or SJD. When you step off the flight arriving into MEX, just follow the "Connecion" signs. I have no idea if paid sleep space exist at MEX. Certainly, it does not at the crowded AeroMexico lounge there.

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 15, 2022 at 2:10 pm Reason: AM lounge at Mexico City airport is at Terminal 2.