FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Standby on earlier flight on UA award ticket
Old Jul 7, 2022, 3:14 pm
Mwenenzi
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seadan
I'm looking at booking an award ticket from HND-SYD-BNE via UA, where HND-SYD is on NH and SYD-BNE is VA. Based on award availability and a 2 hour MCT, UA is only showing a 6+ hour connection in SYD, though it looks like this route is flown every hour/half-hour. Assuming I make it through customs quickly, does VA have a process for going standby on an earlier flight? And if so, does it matter that I'm on a UA award ticket? I do have UA*G status, which affords a number of priority benefits with VA, not sure if standby is one of them. Can't find anything on UA or VA's website on this -- anyone have first hand experience here?
Been to SYD - AU before?
The ANA NH879 HND-SYD looks to arrive at 08:55. Getting towards the end of the peak long haul SYD arrivals. At that time 2:00 would not be a sensible connection time. People missing connecting flights is not unusual.
FT---->Airport info SYDNEY (SYD) - amenities, transfers, transport
From post 525 (30 May 2022)
I budged 3 hours for the transit, and glad I did not take the VA agent's offer to get on an earlier flight (an hour earlier), I needed the extra time for waiting for the bus, and clear security at the domestic terminal. A 40-min relaxing visit in the VA lounge with great coffee is a nice break after a long 15-hour flight. It would be even nicer if the showers were working at the VA lounge.
You could ask at the VA T1 domestic check in area, before going across to T2. On a UA award ticket my guess the chances of changing are low.
VA "Fly Ahead"
https://experience.velocityfrequentf...dion-fly-ahead
Fly Ahead
  • Request to Fly Ahead to your destination on an earlier flight. Fly Ahead requests can be made at the airport for you and up to 3 guests on the same booking.
  • Fly Ahead is available on Virgin Australia domestic Economy Flex and Business fares for flights operated by Virgin Australia. Fly Ahead is not available for Gold members on Economy Choice fares, Economy Lite fares, or for Group bookings.
  • Fly Ahead is available on Virgin Australia Economy and Business Class Reward Seats, and Business Class Upgrades.
https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...requent-flyers

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jul 7, 2022 at 7:02 pm