FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:19 pm
JJeffrey
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by guwinster
I (as is often the case) am really annoyed with AA awards availability.

I can find lots of Awards availability (including some really good deals) from the US to NRT/HND. I can also find awards availability from NRT/HND to BKK (available on every single day, from now until eternity). However, I can't find any US to BKK availability. Does anyone have tips for this situation?

If I book a US - Tokyo awards ticket and a separate Tokyo - BKK awards ticket, can I later call AA and have them combine those tickets? I doubt this would work, but could I have them combine the itineraries at the US - Asia 1/2 mileage rate (as opposed to paying the US - Asia 1 AND also the separate Asia 1 - Asia 2 rates combined)? The AA awards fare rules allow transits through Asia 1 on the way to Asia 2 (and I see some limited availability for other destinations like JKT/MNL), but has anyone had success actually getting the AA call center to do that?
Your likely issue is that most all AA long haul premium cabin award space is now web special, and web special awards cannot be combined with partner awards on the same award.

So searching US-Tokyo you'll see lots of web special space, but searching US-BKK you'll see nothing since the TYO-BKK partner award cannot be combined with the AA US-TYO web special award.

If you do book these as separate PNRs there is no way to combine them into one later.

And if you can find sAAver space on the US-TYO segments then it's definitely possible to combine that with the TYO-BKK segment on a single US-Asia 2 award, but as mentioned if the US-TYO is web special then that's not possible.