FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Loyalty Points discussion/questions - From 2022 now used for determining elite status
Old Jul 3, 2022, 3:55 pm
EQDsSUCK

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Home Depot is not worth it IMO; only 0.5 miles per dollar on all but one category ("home improvement"). There's no indication anywhere of what falls into what category.

Be sure to buy Lowe's or Home Depot gift cards on giftcards.com (no fee and 1% site credit). They are digital cards that can be used online or scanned at the register. So that's 3 miles + 1% in addition to whatever your credit card earns.

Additionally you can use those gift cards online after clicking through the portal. My experience is that they earn miles on Home Depot (again, only 0.5 per dollar though) despite warnings that purchases made with gift cards "may not" earn miles. Honestly for an extra 0.5 miles it's not worth the hassle IMO. Just show up at the store with a bunch of screenshots of GCs that you bought on giftscards.com

I have not tried this double dip for Lowe's; I only used their gcs in-store. I would try with a small purchase first if you are going to do it. And read the terms at the bottom of the page; it will tell you about any exclusions.
FYi, I am still trying to get an answer from Home Depot on whether or not I can use gift cards in the store to pay for my counter and flooring installation, The Gift card rules say: "Gift Card cannot be applied to any credit or loan balance, Tool Rental Deposits, or for in-home purchases." (https://www.homedepot.com/c/Gift_Card_FAQ) Corporate hasn't been able to tell me for sure what is an in home purchase. My next step will be to ask the store manager on site. I only want to buy $4,000 of gift cards if I'm sure I can use them.