FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can British Airways get away with this behavior?
Old Jul 1, 2022, 2:06 am
lost_in_translation

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Under EC261, you're entitled to a certain amount here, although you will have to show that you acted reasonably - which is what's behind BA's recommended hotel cost limit of £200 (not $), which they will pay without quibble. Beyond that, they'd expect you to show some evidence that you took the cheapest reasonable option, as would any court if the claim ever got that far.

Now I can see on the IHG website that there's an Intercontinental hotel in central London available for less than $750 - at the O2, for £565. There's even a hotel 20 miles from Heathrow for £174, within BA's guideline amount. The Holiday Inn at Reading was close to the budget. So, you might expect some pushback when you try and claim $750.
The IC at the 02 is nearly an hour and a half from LHR. Whilst the greedy owner was happy for it to be a quarantine hotel, I’m not sure I consider it fair to expect someone to book it - you’d get to LHR more quickly booking a hotel in Oxford…