FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2022]
Old Jul 1, 2022, 1:12 am
ithinkurdumb

Originally Posted by jsloan
OK. So, BR baggage rules definitely apply. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no idea which rules those are, because there's no guidance in the regulation for mixed class bookings. (This is what happens when rules are written by bureaucrats who never book their own travel).

The most likely place you'd be charged for bags would be Seattle, because UA might try to pull up BR's Economy baggage allowance. The $300 charge for bags at SFO feels like the sort of nonsense that sometimes plagues partner flights on UA's receipts -- as if it's grabbing the 'excess bag' charge but ignoring the free allotment. I've had quite a few similar receipts but never actually had to pay the exorbitant bag fee.

There's no way that you should be charged for luggage at SFO. Not only are you flying in UA J, so UA might just give you their own allowance, but BR's J rules very clearly apply by law to that situation.

Forget the baggage calculator; what's on the NH receipt? If the says zero for that segment, I'd just print a copy and keep it with me just in case. I'd be extremely surprised if you were actually charged anything, though.
The entire r/t is actually booked in I, just that two segments have no I class (yet &#129310. NH e-ticket only shows 2pcs (with no weight limit) but when I looked up my reservation on NH website, it does show that BR rules (2 pieces, up to 70lbs ea) apply to both TPE - SFO and SFO - TPE. I'll make sure to have that ready at SFO just in case.

I originally thought UA rules would apply for the SFO-TPE segments instead of BR's as UA is the first carrier of the return flights. The UA agent also said that she expected it to be the case but was very surprised when her system also shows $300 for each bag. Learned something new today.

Much appreciate the information - certainly a relief knowing this