FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2022 Alaska Airlines *FLAME-FREE* Q&A Thread: All Welcome, New and Old!
Old Jun 30, 2022, 4:42 pm
WestSideBilly

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Sorry, more silly questions!

1) if I pay for AS first or main cabin via an online travel agency, can I still cancel the flights and receive AS travel credit? I can see that a few UK based OTAs are selling the same fares for a cheaper price and I can also pay in GBP rather than USD, which is better for my pocket as a Brit.

2) on the SFO-LAX route, is it better to fly First with Alaska Airlines or Skywest? It’s a 737 vs an Embraer, I think. I’m unsure if AS offers better service than the regional airline.

Thank you!
For 1, I don't know for sure, but I doubt it.

For 2, it depends on how you travel. The ERJ175 is, as regional jets go, pretty nice, but it only has usable overhead bins on the right hand side, so if you're a last minute boarder who travels with a normal sized carryon bag, you'll be gate checking it. Your BA Gold status probably makes these flights a high probability upgrade, in which case the left side single row is nice.

The service on these short flights is, in my experience, basically the same whether it's Skywest or mainline Alaska. In coach, you'll get one quick pass of the beverage cart and small snack. In first you'll get a drink or two and the snack bin. Note that SFO-LAX is listed as 337 miles and the cutoff for drink service is 350 miles, so there's a chance there will be no service in coach (I haven't flown this route since before Covid).

Last edited by WestSideBilly; Jun 30, 2022 at 5:28 pm