FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United Devalues Clubs - Makes sure they are packed beyond capacity.
Old Jun 30, 2022, 1:20 pm
lincolnjkc

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by raehl311
I think the takeaway for ORD is avoid the C16 lounge ... it's smaller than B7, and there are a lot more gates on the C concourse than B concourse and the B concourse has 1.5 lounges. (I agree B19 is the smallest.)

But to describe ORD lounges as overcrowded in general doesn't seem accurate to me.
I don't completely agree or disagree for the sole reason that a distant empty lounge isn't of much utility on a "reasonable" length connection. A lot of my connections are in the <2 hour range and seem to arrive and depart on C. If I'm coming in to C21 and leaving from C27 with say 90 minutes of disposable time between getting off the end of the jet bridge and beginning the boarding process (and not including any visits to the restrooms, etc.) for the next flight do I really want to spend 30 of those minutes doing the Z-pattern from C2x, down the escalator, through the tunnel, up the escalator, through perennial the mob of slow-moving clueless people [WHY DO YOU STOP IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WALKWAY?!? WHY! WHY DO YOU NEED TO WALK IN A GROUP FIVE ACROSS AT 3 INCHES PER MINUTE?!? AAAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHH (sorry)] that are funneled between the TSA checkpoints and the gates, and in to the B7 club and then reversing the process when it's time to get back to the departure gate?

So for that reason I usually cross my fingers and wind up in the C club -- a few times awkwardly leaning against a wall with a drink waiting to swoop like a vulture the moment a seat is abandoned because while not really "relaxing" that to me is a better use of my time and less-unrelaxing than the alternative. (Though if the C-F shuttle were still a thing, depending on specific gate pairs, I might consider that just out of laziness)

Of course if you have 5 hours like I did a few weeks ago (it almost would have made sense to just rent a car and drive home, but I prefer flying) the 'incremental cost' of getting to a less-crowded lounge relative to the "lounge available time" is a much less severe penalty and I'm more likely to do it just to avoid boredom.