FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 30 Jun 22: 30 flights cancelled because LHR can't cope
Old Jun 29, 2022, 10:50 pm
jeremyBA

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
Without defending BA it’s Wimbledon and I doubt any airline would be able to rustle up enough hotel rooms for 12 cancelled flights this week.

I have a friend who is a dispatcher at a BA outstation. They are short staffed. This week he has had to assist in loading and cleaning an aircraft to get it away as well as dispatching. ThEre was also a slot delay and as the flight was boarding he got called a whole,load of names and was told he should be ashamed of his performance.

I am not suggesting anybody here would be abusive to ground staff (or any staff) however my friend is at the end of his tether and I can understand lounge staff being fed up and frustrated. If they are pushed they will snap and the situation will be even worse if they are signed off sick with stress.

All the airlines misjudged demand post covid and as a consequence most are suffering with headline stories daily on the extreme situations passengers are facing.

Looking at the situation it’s not going to get any better anytime soon as nobody can flick a switch to make things better. Just remember 2 years ago where the most we could travel was a short walk in our vicinity. We’ve been through truly unprecedented times and whilst hindsight is a wonderful thing nobody knew how things would pan out.

As the world gets back to normal we must realise it will take a while to get the old BA back. In the meantime safe and happy travels to all.
I don’t recall “ the old ba “ being anything aspirational. Did it work - yes but the soft product was out dated , the planes old and the staff variable. They are - very slowly - ditching the ying Yang seats and buying nee planes. The IT will likely never recover as they have an old system and seem to wallow in complexity.

The recovery of leisure travel was entirely predictable. Business travel ( and I have no idea how much of that thee is now ) was the main thing likely to be replaced with zoom.

whilst it will hurt they all need to cut services to run an efficient airline. Where I do feel for them js they do there bit and then the airport / atc don’t do theirs. Heathrow is and always has been a national disgrace