FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair being silly about carry-on bags
View Single Post
Old Jun 28, 2022, 7:54 am
happychic

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by lamphs
I'll just comment re: VCE-BRI last week. I am not familiar with any carriers outside of *A. However, Ryan was a great option for the trip. I carefully read all of the 'rules' so as to not incur extra charges at check-in. This included the purchase of 'priority' and 1 checked bag and 1 carry-on per passenger. I had let my nephew borrow a carryon from me that I've used around the world for 15-20 years without sizer issues or overhead bin issues. #3 in the check-in line at VCE. Agent said she had to ensure the bag would fit in the sizer. It was too deep by 1/4" (I do dimensions for a living - not hyperbole). She said 35.99 EUR please because the bag had to be checked. (I will give her credit in that she tried everything she could to make it fit.)

What really bugged me was the fact the bag would have clearly fit in an overhead bin on a 738. But worse, I observed that the check-in staff was not consistent about using the sizer. (I mention being #3 in the check-in line because the line had grown tremendously as the family of 6 or so who were #1, were having many difficulties, so I assume that check-in needed to speed along.)

Having 'priority' did make all the difference with security at VCE, so I am not too upset.
Did they weigh any of your bags? I'm flying from VCE to LHR in September. It says the combined wright of my personal and cabin bag cannot be more than 10kg. I expect them to bring a sizer along so I have a small cabin bag ready. But I don't know if it will be less than 10kg combined.