FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:06 pm
emcampbe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way
Sorry to be confused but are there still no change fees for regular economy tickets booked USA to Europe? An agent just tried to charge me but i plan to HuCA....
No change fees if it was booked ex-USA (if it was EU-USA-EU roundtrip, for example, or Canada-EU via USA, those tickets might have change fees, depending on the fare rules (for my part, I’ve looked at Canada - US tickets that technically aren’t part of ‘no change fees’ but specific fare rules specify ‘no charge for changes’)

There are still a couple of common scenarios where you might need to pay extra, but are not change fees. They are:

- fare difference - if changing from flight XYZ on Monday, booked in L class to same flight next day, which only has lowest as T available, you’d be charged whatever the amount is to ‘upfare’ from L to T - that is strcitlh a fare difference, not a change fee (same thing WN has done forever)
- Change to lower fare on same flight:many agents are still quoting a $50 fee to take advantage of a lower fare on the same flights you already booked at a higher fare, within 30 days of issue. Technically, this is still in force - realistically, you can get around this on the website self-serve by changing to a different flight, then changing back, or canceling outright, then starting a brand new booking while using the newly issued FFC to pay.

If I was a betting man, I’d guess it was one of these two items rather than a change fee per say.