FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated ORD connection time/logistics-Domestic & International
Old Jun 26, 2022, 9:30 am
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Passportinonehand
Thank you! We will definitely miss our connection. It is now 11:35 and we are still at the gate (departure was supposed to be at 11:00). Unfortunately the ORD-LAX flight after the one we were supposed to take is completely full, so looks like a loooong day at the airport. Are we entitled to some kind of food/drinks vouchers because we’ll miss our connection? Thank you
BRU-ORD is currently estimated to arrive 48 minutes late, so while it’s not a guarantee that you’ll misconnect, it’s pretty likely. By the time your luggage arrives and you make it through customs, I suspect you will already have been offloaded by the UA computers. Hopefully, they’ll already have rebooked you already. Regardless, you should work with the UA agent at the baggage recheck area to get re-accommodated. As threeoh said, look for the United recheck counter to your right after leaving customs but before continuing out to the main arrivals hall. (If you miss it, you’ll have to lug your bags back to UA check-in at T1 and wait in line there).

That said, to answer your specific question: EC.261 applies and gives UA a duty of care to provide meals, and, if necessary, a hotel — but I don’t think it would apply unless you’re going to be delayed at least four hours total (measured by arrival at LAX). You can certainly ask about vouchers, but be prepared to be told ‘no,’ in which case you should save your receipts and then submit them to customer service later if you end up meeting the delay threshold. (If you happen to be Star Alliance Gold, or you’re flying in business class, the provisions might begin a little sooner). Note that UA’s food vouchers are typically $10/person/meal, so even if they give you a voucher you may end up wanting to save your receipts.

Did they provide a reason for the delay? From ExpertFlyer, I see “security” listed — maybe late bag screening? UA is likely to try to deny paying EC.261 compensation, if it ends up applying, by claiming that this was an extraordinary circumstance. (They still would owe you for the meals).

You said “we.” How many are in your traveling party? At the moment, I see four seats on UA’s 8:30 PM departure, and the 9:31 PM departure is wide open. If they’re willing to put you on another airline, there are seats available on the 6:12 PM departure on American Airlines. I’m not entirely sure whether or not UA has to do this in the case of an uncontrollable delay, but you can certainly ask.

If you’re willing to add an additional connection, I also see two seats on a 3:48 PM flight through Las Vegas that would arrive in LAX at 8:17 PM. That’s actually a few minutes earlier than the AA flight is scheduled to arrive.

Hope this helps. Good luck!