FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 500-mile upgrades / stickers converting to Loyalty Points; discussion, options
Old Jun 24, 2022, 3:27 pm
njvandy

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by HankAAFlyer
as a lifetime PLT, the e500 conversion to LPs does kinda sting, and had been saving my earned e500's as someone mentioned in an earlier post to "not compete with everyone" Of course, my travel patterns tend to be during peak travel days (Thursdays/Sundays/Mondays), so never could use the e500's even when I wanted to. Do wish there was another conversion upgrade to something "tangible" vs LPs, as LPs are useless to folks with lifetime GLD or PLT. I do wish there was an option to convert some amount of e500's to a SWU (like 30 or 40 e500s to a single SWU?) as RDMs aren't on the table. One can dream lol.
I understand the sentiment but don't agree with it.

AA is being very generous in my view by offering 5k RDM for paid e500 stickers. My father had 27 of them and just got 135,000 miles - more than a r/t J ticket to Europe - in exchange for a few years' worth of Amex Gold and Platinum fee credits.

The earned upgrades are being "exchanged" for free domestic upgrades for you AND a companion. We can quibble all we want about the increased competition. As always, it will come down to the routes you choose to fly and how flexible you are willing to be to choose times and routings that are less elite-heavy. I imagine 95% or more people will be better off under the new system.