FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - some luxury hotels in Scotland
View Single Post
Old Jun 24, 2022, 7:34 am
LRobs

This is the most recent thread that includes the Isle of Eriska in search so thought I would add a review here as the thread is quite old. I booked it with Hyatt points as it is a SLH. Every room is unique due to the size of the hotel which really restricts award space. Fortunately, the award room is in the main stone house which is where I wanted to be but I think the suites are mostly in a separate building. The island and its gardens are really lovely. There is a croquet lawn, putting green, and six hole golf course. We used the first two but not the golf course. You can see wildlife throughout the island like deer in the evening or jellyfish congregating at the dock. We paid to shoot clays which was a lot of fun but £130 per person so not cheap but the instructor is really excellent.

The tasting menu at the fine dining restaurant was not great and I would not do it again. More misses than hits but the scallop dish was quite good. The more casual Deck restaurant was quite good, especially the venison 'slider' that was really a full size hamburger. Breakfast is good but the biggest tragedy is that I only ordered the whisky brulee porridge on our last day there. This stuff is easily the tastiest thing on the island.

We went to Oban one day to see the distillery and ate the locally sourced fried hake at Oban fish and chips which was for sure the best fish and chips of the whole trip.

​​​​My biggest complaint might be something that it is just a matter of opinion but all the guests are 60+ years of age and the place is super stuffy. There is no music in the dining rooms and everyone whispers if they speak at all. The result is that it is so quiet you can hear your partner chewing. These were some of the most uncomfortable meals of my life. I think they really need speakers and music. I don't think e would return unless we had like 4 friends to come with us.