FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE: Ask DL and Skymiles Newbie Questions Here - Flame-Free Thread
Old Jun 23, 2022, 8:31 pm
CycloneSteve

Programs: Marriott Plat, Delta Plat
Here's another odd question. I was thinking of taking a long trip to get some MQM's so I thought I'd try a trip to Bangkok. (I'm Platinum)

On DL website I got a trip from OMA-DTW-ICN-BKK and it showed I would earn 8,775 miles, 19,114 MQM, 1,755 MDM (and circle mapper showed the trip as 9,563 air miles)
On KLM's I found a trip from OMA-ATL-AMS-BBK listed as 10,949 air miles on circle mapper. The KLM listing doesn't show the fare class or any mileage that I could find.
On the DL site it shows that economy fares on KLM earn as little as 25% of the miles earned (depending on the fare class) but it shows 100% of MQM and bonus.

So the question is, would I get 100% of the 25% as MQM or 100% (plus or minus) of the miles flown as MQM?
It would really stink to save $50 on a fare but lose 75% of the MQM's, when that's the whole point! I thought I might get an "extra" 2,000 MQM by going the other way around the world.
It looks like I would get either around 21,000 MQM or 5,250. Anyone know a simple way to find out? Thanks!