FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}
Old Jun 23, 2022, 5:27 pm
goatee87

Originally Posted by nomad420
I thought I had heard they did resume service from SFO but I could be wrong as I don't fly there. Long flight for PE but that's just me and my typical horrific luck getting any of my PPs to clear.
Originally Posted by jsloan
They have not. The problem is, it's really hard to avoid Russian airspace on that route:

A map from Great Circle Mapper - Great Circle Mapper (PVG added as an example overflight point).
Thanks. Direct flights from SFO to DEL and BLR are at least bookable as of now. But that's a fair point, maybe I should just plan to do a stopover. I have done the direct flight before in business class and it's really nice. Much shorter overall journey, fewer delays, plus you can get a full night's rest on the flight.

Originally Posted by jsloan
Or other 1Ks on a higher fare class within PE, or any anyone on a GS instrument. The GS member doesn't have to be traveling.

Well, the good news is that the flights are probably empty at the moment, because UA is trying hard not to sell any seats. The bad news is that if they don't get canceled, "peak travel season" and "SFO" are not a good combination for upgrades. Also, India has traditionally been a difficult upgrade on UA.

UA doesn't operate any services from IAH to India. There's a decent chance you'll be flying through EWR or ORD anyway, because I don't know that the SFO flights will resume. And I would't like my chances much better for either of those, anyway. Maybe if you fly midweek...

I'd say, if you buy PE, expect to fly PE. Then, any upgrade would be a pleasant surprise.
I misread some ad that was advertising IAH flights, thanks for catching that.