FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA cutting 50 daily flights from EWR during summer 2022
Old Jun 23, 2022, 4:09 pm
ezefllying

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by milesmilesmiles
I don’t understand why more passengers don’t take Amtrak Acela trains rather fly between EWR and DCA. I guess this would not be good for connectors, but otherwise Acela is better experience…..maybe a little longer than flying (if flights are on time) but just less stressful.
I don't know anyone who would fly DCA-EWR point-to-point. I think United thought they could turn it into a shuttle, perhaps given EWR's geographic proximity to Wall Street. But, from what I've seen, the flight is full of connecting passengers.

Now, I wish United would bring back its relationship with Amtrak and convince them to stop a couple Acelas right at EWR station. As it stands, regional Amtrak trains stop there, but the Acela only stops at Newark (city). And I don't think you can book a United ticket with an Amtrak segment from DC. I would strongly consider booking a UA ticket from Union Station to EWR to a long-haul destination if the first leg were Acela.