FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ways to maintain status for now infrequent flyer
Old Jun 23, 2022, 1:36 pm
chleonard

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by entropy
These days you can buy everything that status gives you, for not that much more money (except maybe GS), and I actually think for many cases F is a better "deal" for buyup than E+, especially if its not included. If you're flying 3-4x a year you'll find its a better deal than being abused for your loyalty - and you can be a free agent at that.
I have to agree. You could probably get Gold if you can find a way to get a fourth flight (and are willing to throw some money at it), but is it really worth it? If you're flying infrequently it'll probably be more cost-effective to just buy what you want. About the only other notable benefits you'd get as a Gold besides E+ would be CPUs (which rarely clear at that level), lounge access/*G benefits (useless if you're only flying domestic), and Group 1 boarding (only really useful if you're trying to avoid gate-checking a bag).

I'm trying to get at least Gold (if not higher) status for 2023, but I am expecting a lot more travel (mostly TATL and intra-EU) over the next couple of years - the *G benefits are worth it for me. If I was in your shoes I wouldn't bother though. You'd be better off just shopping around for discount F fares and not worrying about loyalty.