FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What could a random $37.80 charge be?
View Single Post
Old Jun 23, 2022, 7:43 am
Xenor

Originally Posted by 91StealthES
Wouldn't necessarily be fraud...
1. Potentially you didn't completely fill it up. Just because the pump stops, doesn't mean it's full.
2. Potentially the returning agent miss typed the fuel gauge in the return item
3. Potentially the airport used the vehicle to transport customers to and from Hertz location and airport dropoff and didn't top off. Next customer complained that tank wasn't full and they back-charged you, the previous renter.

This is why I always take a photo of the gas gauge and mileage upon return with a recognizable feature of the return area. Then there is easy confirmation the tank was full at return. Just because you got gas at the petrol station next to the return location does not mean that you filled it up, nor is it proof that you filled it up (unless e.g. you put in 24 gallons and the tank holds 24 gallons).

Charges could be a bunch of things though...
1. Fuel charge
2. EZ Pass Rental Fee that they missed
3. Late Return (maybe you returned at your "scheduled" time, but picked the car up an hour early)
4. One-way drop fee
5. Mileage fee - over allocated miles
6. Cleaning fee
7. Could be another rental you did
8. Another vehicle was inadvertently rented under your name/account

Best of luck with figuring out what it was. Please let us know once you do.
Thanks. If not fraud then definitely a scam. When I dropped the car off the person put the keys in and looked at the mileage and fuel gauge.

I mean, technically the car was not full, the only way to completely fill the tank would be to top it up with a jerry can after driving to the Hertz drop off but it is reasonable to assume that filling it up at a petrol station around the corner until the pump stops would be sufficient. That's what they told me to do at pick up anyway.

Looking at the others potential items in your list a cleaning fee could be likely. I didn't see anything that said I need to have the car cleaned before returning it, and it was dirty as I had done a big road trip.

I don't have a gold account and have received no receipt.

I guess we'll wait and see. I will update the thread. If I hear nothing by Monday I'll have a chat with my bank as a company can't just charge my card a random amount and not tell me why.