FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread
Old Jun 22, 2022, 10:58 pm
njvandy

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by wanderingjock
BAEC in peace!

I have a cash booking (mainly I class) from EU to HNL. It is a 001 ticket in mix of BA and AA metal. I am BA GGL - which equates v roughly to Concierge Key exec plat in AA world. I can see that my BOS-LAX flight has lots of F availability (F7 A4) and wondered if there is any way I can use Avios or anything else (29 500m upgrades from 10 yrs ago!) to upgrade from J to F? thanks all. wj
Unfortunately Avios won't help you here and the 500 mile upgrades are only valid from Y to the next cabin of service. I don't believe you could use them unless you are flying under your AAdvantage number in any case.

Your best bet is to download the AA app and pull up your reservation every few days in the weeks leading up to your trip. If F inventory stays open you will likely get a cash upgrade offer to pop up on the top of the screen after a few seconds of viewing the reservation. The offers vary widely and can change day-to-day. There is a good thread here if you want to learn more about the process and what is considered a good deal: AA offers TOD “tens of dollars” First Class & Upgrades