FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Random seat changes to UA itineraries after having an assigned seat [Consolidated]
Old Jun 22, 2022, 9:11 pm
IAH-OIL-TRASH
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ou5603
I originally booked the ticket from ord to ogg and the four seats were together in row 42. When I accidently checked my itinerary today, UA has changed my seats in row 50 for 2 and row 55 for another 2. and the original seats become preferred seats right now. what should I do right now? Call them and ask to move back without extra charge? did anyone have similar experience? I really hate to be put on hold for an hour to talk with these phone rep.
You have no recourse - UA has right to move you will as you paid for transportation, not specific seats. When you select seats, you are just indicating a preference, nothing else. Most of the time, UA honors the requested seats. I'm guessing there was an aircraft swap and the preferred seat rows are different, so they moved you to non-preferred seats. This is not unique to UA.

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
...Keep in mind United will act like they owe you nothing.
Well, they don't, outside of a polite apology for the disappointment/inconvenience.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 22, 2022 at 9:33 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member